When and Where?
The weekend of June 24th-25th at Shadow Lake in Waterford, Ontario (by the Antique Market on Alice Street). Saturday afternoon 1:00-6:00 – included with registration is a 1-hour practice session with an experienced steersperson who will also provide basic coaching instruction.
Sunday, June 25th is race day! We welcome spectators! Bring a lawnchair and spend the day enjoying all the action.
~ please bring cash – parking is by donation / 50/50 tickets will be available / event buttons will be available for a donation / food vendors may only accept cash
~ The Rotary Club of Norfolk Sunrise is not responsible for any lost or stolen items
~ Though no reminder should be necessary, any actions negatively impacting other team members, steers people, and/or other teams will result in not being permitted on a boat/participating in a race. Safety on the water is paramount to everyone.
~ SMILE! Everyone takes photos! The Rotary Club of Norfolk Sunrise does not take responsibility for any photos taken from any source.
Who can race?
Anyone from tweens to seniors can race provided you’re in good health
20 paddlers per boat + a drummer required per team
- A steersperson will be provided to novice / community team
- Participants under 18 will require written parental consent
Is experience necessary?
- This is a fun event for novice and experienced paddlers alike, so no! no experience is necessary
- This is a terrific venue for team-building as well as offering organized teams a more laid-back atmosphere to hone those skills!
How long are the races?
All races are 250m in length / 3 teams per race. All races will be expertly timed and recorded.
Each team is guaranteed at least 3 races throughout the day.
Who supplies the boats and equipment?
Alkame Dragon Boat Services from Pickering alkame.ca/services will be supplying the boats, life jackets, and paddles. Alkame is extremely experienced in all aspects of dragon boating and will be conducting all the races and tracking the race times as well providing experienced steerspeople to novice/community teams.
What is the registration fee and deadline?
$1,000.00 per team. E-transfer payment is due by June 10, 2023 but don’t delay, the event has a max. capacity of 24 teams – go to REGISTRATION tab for full details
What is included with registration?
- Minimum of 3 races
- Boat, life jackets and paddles for each race
- Experienced steersperson/coach provided for novice/community teams
- entire day of racing/fun/music/food vendors/relaxing venue in beautiful Norfolk County
How does our team register?
Team captains, please register and pay for your entire team – no individual payments accepted. Go to REGISTRATION tab for full details
What are the team captain’s responsibilities?
- Register your team and submit payment
- Ensure each member has signed a waiver (electronic version new in 2023 will be provided to team captains)
- Arrange date/time for practice
- You are the point of contact with event coordinators (via email, with updates/info) and forwarding all information to your team
- You (or your designate) are responsible for securing a section in the park to set up your tent and team area
- You (or your designate) are responsible for reporting to the registration tent on race day
- You (or your designate) are responsible for attending the captains’ meeting with Alkame staff on race day
- You (or your designate) are responsible for keeping track of race results to ensure your team is ready in the marshalling area when called for your next race(s)
What happens on the day of the event?
7:30am – set up
- The event organizers unfortunately cannot reserve spots for any team for set-up
- Due to venue space please only one 10’x10′ tent/sun canopy permitted
- Bring your own lawn chairs, fold-up tables, small shade umbrellas, etc.
PARKING is available on site – *** by donation. There is also parking on nearby side streets. Please be respectful of people’s lawns/ driveways in the neighbourhood
8:00 a.m. – Registration tent opens
8:45 a.m. – Races begin! Check the program for your team’s race times
3:45 p.m. – Final races
There will be a medals ceremony immediately after the final race. Medals are awarded to the 1st place team of each division.
Plan for an entire day of paddling and fun!
What to wear?
- If the day is hot and sunny, wear cool and comfortable clothing – shorts, t-shirt, tank, short-sleeved top
- Teams are encouraged to have distinctive t-shirts!
- If it’s rainy bring some protective gear, towels to dry off in-between races, as well as a change of clothing
- Sensible/appropriate footwear for safe walking on the docks and entering/exiting the boat
- Sunglasses, ball hat, sunscreen are also recommended
What if it rains?
The event will proceed rain or shine with no rain date, just prepare/dress accordingly – dragon boating is, after all, a water sport! Races will only be delayed should there be thunder/lightning but every effort will be made to otherwise continue with the day as planned. Please note no refunds will be issued should racing have to be permanently suspended due to an all-day thunderstorm.
Will there be entertainment?
Many thanks to Black Creek Music that will be providing music throughout the entire event.
MyFM and Jewel 92.1 will also be broadcasting onsite.
Is alcohol permitted on site? Will food be available?
NO liquor on site; the event has no permit. There will, however, be several vendors on site and local eateries in the immediate area. ** Bring cash in the event debit/credit not available.
I own a business / I am a member of a service club or organization. Can I sponsor a team – or be a corporate sponsor for this event?
Absolutely! We are thrilled to have many local businesses sponsor teams – great for the participants and great advertising for you!
The event is also very grateful to our corporate sponsors. As a corporate sponsor we will display your business logo on our sponsor page and at the event.