When and Where?
July 20, 2019 at Shadow Lake in Waterford, Ontario (by the Antique Market on Alice Street)
Who can participate?
Anyone from tweens to seniors can race provided you’re in good health. 20 paddlers per boat + a drummer. Steersperson will be provided to novice / community teams. At least 8 female paddlers required for a mixed team. Participants under 16 require written parental consent.
Is experience necessary?
This is a fun event for novice and experienced paddlers alike. This is a terrific venue for team-building as well offers organized teams a more laid-back atmosphere to hone those skills! 1-hour practice sessions will be available the week prior to the event (to be scheduled/watch for details) so even novices can paddle with confidence on race day. You can also check out the many videos on YouTube for paddling instruction.
What are the team divisions/categories?
Community, Organized, and Cancer Survivor teams. There will also be an exclusive race for Cancer Survivor teams, followed by a memorial ceremony.
How long are the races?
All races are 250m
Who supplies the boats and equipment?
Alkame Dragon Boat Services from Pickering will be supplying the boats, life jackets, and paddles. Alkame is extremely experienced in all aspects of dragon boating and will be conducting all the races and tracking the race times as well providing experienced steers people to novice/community teams
What is the registration fee and deadline?
$1,000/team by July 1, 2019
What is included with registration?
- Minimum of 3 races
- Boat, life jackets and paddles for each race
- Experienced steers person if required
- Evening practice session the week prior to the event
- 1 case of water
How does our team register?
Team captains must register their teams on the Registration tab.
What are the team captains responsibilities?
- Register team and submit payment
- Ensure each member has completed team waiver form (provided when registering) to be submitted at registration on race day
- Arrange date/time for practice with event organizers
- Act as point of contact with event organizers (via email, with updates/info)
What happens on the day of the event?
7:30am – set up
NOTE: spots will not be ‘saved’ for any team for set-up. Due to venue space only one 10’x10′ tent/sun canopy permitted. Bring your own lawnchairs and fold-up tables
PARKING is available on site and on neighbouring side streets. Please be mindful of no parking beside the Quilt Shop, and people’s lawns
8:00am – Registration tent opens
9:30am – Races begin! Check the program for your team’s race times
4:00pm – Final races
There will be a medals ceremony immediately after the final race. Medals go to the 1st place team of each division. Plan for an entire day of paddling and fun!
What to wear?
- If the day is hot and sunny, wear comfortable summer clothing – shorts, t-shirt, tank, or short-sleeved top
- Teams are encouraged to have distinctive t-shirts
- If it’s rainy some protective gear, towels to dry off in between races, as well as a change of clothing
- Sensible/appropriate footwear for safe walking on the docks and entering/exiting the boat
- Sunglasses, ball hat, sunscreen are also recommended
What if it rains?
The event will proceed rain or shine with no rain date, just prepare/dress accordingly dragon boating is, after all, a water sport! Races will only be delayed should there be thunder/lightning but every effort will be made to otherwise continue with the day as planned. Please note no refunds will be issued should racing have to be permanently suspended due to an all-day thunderstorm.
Is alcohol allowed?
You are not permitted to bring in your own alcohol. There will be a beer tent on site. Also several food vendors!
I own a business, can I sponsor a team – or be a corporate sponsor for this event?
Absolutely! We are thrilled to have many local businesses sponsor teams – great for the participants and great advertising for you!
The event is also very grateful to our corporate sponsors. As a corporate sponsor we will display your business logo on our sponsor page and at the event.