What is Invasion of the Dragons and who benefits from proceeds of the event?
Invasions of the Dragons is a fun-filled day of dragon boat racing, supporting the local Cancer Support & Resource Program of Norfolk.
When and Where?
The weekend of July 18th-19th at Shadow Lake in Waterford, Ontario (by the Antique Market on Alice Street). All practices will be held on Saturday this year / RACE DAY this year is Sunday
Who can participate?
Anyone from tweens to seniors can race provided you’re in good health
- 20 paddlers per boat + a drummer required per team
- A steersperson will be provided to novice / community teams
- At least 8 female paddlers are required for a mixed team
- Participants under 16 will require written parental consent
Is experience necessary?
- This is a fun event for novice and experienced paddlers alike, so no! no experience is necessary
- This is a terrific venue for team-building as well offers organized teams a more laid-back atmosphere to hone those skills!
- 1-hour practice sessions will be available Saturday, July 18th (to be scheduled/watch for details) so even novices can paddle with confidence on race day
- You can also check out the many videos on YouTube for paddling instruction
How long are the races?
All races are 250m
Who supplies the boats and equipment?
Alkame Dragon Boat Services from Pickering will be supplying the boats, life jackets, and paddles. Alkame is extremely experienced in all aspects of dragon boating and will be conducting all the races and tracking the race times as well providing experienced steerspeople to novice/community teams.
What is the registration fee and deadline?
$1,000/team (which averages $50/pp). Payment due by July 1, 2020 but don’t delay, the event has a max. capacity of 30 teams
What is included with registration?
- Minimum of 3 races
- Boat, life jackets and paddles for each race
- Experienced steersperson/coach provided for novice/community teams
- 1 hour per team practice/coaching session (team captains will reserve practice time with event planners – watch for details)
- 1 case of water
- entire day of racing/fun/music/food vendors/relaxing venue in beautiful Norfolk County
How does our team register?
Team captains, please register your team on the REGISTRATION tab
What are the team captain’s responsibilities?
- Register your team and submit payment
- Ensure each member has signed the team waiver form (provided when registering), to be submitted at registration on race day
- Arrange date/time for practice with event organizers
- Act as point of contact with event organizers (via email, with updates/info)
What happens on the day of the event?
7:30am – set up
- The event organizers unfortunately cannot reserve spots for any team for set-up
- Due to venue space only one 10’x10′ tent/sun canopy permitted
- Bring your own lawnchairs and fold-up tables
PARKING is available on site and on neighbouring side streets. Please be respectful of ‘no parking’ beside the Quilt Shop at the venue, and people’s lawns/driveways in the neighbourhood
8:00am – Registration tent opens
9:30am – Races begin! Check the program for your team’s race times
4:00pm – Final races
There will be a medals ceremony immediately after the final race. Medals go to the 1st place team of each division. Plan for an entire day of paddling and fun!
What to wear?
- If the day is hot and sunny, wear cool and comfortable clothing – shorts, t-shirt, tank, short-sleeved top
- Teams are encouraged to have distinctive t-shirts!
- If it’s rainy bring some protective gear, towels to dry off in-between races, as well as a change of clothing
- Sensible/appropriate footwear for safe walking on the docks and entering/exiting the boat
- Sunglasses, ball hat, sunscreen are also recommended
What if it rains?
The event will proceed rain or shine with no rain date, just prepare/dress accordingly – dragon boating is, after all, a water sport! Races will only be delayed should there be thunder/lightning but every effort will be made to otherwise continue with the day as planned. Please note no refunds will be issued should racing have to be permanently suspended due to an all-day thunderstorm.
Is alcohol allowed?
There is no event liquor permit nor will there be a beer tent this year. However, there will be food vendors on site as well as local eateries supporting the event.
I own a business, can I sponsor a team – or be a corporate sponsor for this event?
Absolutely! We are thrilled to have many local businesses sponsor teams – great for the participants and great advertising for you!
The event is also very grateful to our corporate sponsors. As a corporate sponsor we will display your business logo on our sponsor page and at the event.