What is Invasion of the Dragons and who benefits from proceeds of the event?
The Rotary Club of Norfolk Sunrise norfolksunrise.org is bringing the Invasions of the Dragons to Waterford in 2023; a fun-filled day of dragon boat racing, supporting the local Cancer Support & Resource Program of Norfolk and other local causes.
When and Where?
The weekend of June 24th-25th at Shadow Lake in Waterford, Ontario (by the Antique Market on Alice Street).
All practices will be held on Saturday – the team captain will secure a time with an event coordinator / RACE DAY is Sunday – plan to be at the event all day as you will participate in several races.
Who can participate?
Anyone from tweens to seniors can race provided you’re in good health
- 20 paddlers per boat + a drummer required per team
- A steersperson will be provided to novice / community teams
- At least 8 female paddlers are required for a mixed team
- Participants under 16 will require written parental consent
Is experience necessary?
- This is a fun event for novice and experienced paddlers alike, so no! no experience is necessary
- This is a terrific venue for team-building as well offers organized teams a more laid-back atmosphere to hone those skills!
- 1-hour practice sessions will be available Saturday, June 24th (to be scheduled/watch for details) so even novices can paddle with confidence on race day
- You can also check out the many videos on YouTube for paddling instruction, including –
How long are the races?
All races are 250m in length / 3 teams per race. All races will be expertly timed and recorded.
Who supplies the boats and equipment?
Alkame Dragon Boat Services from Pickering alkame.ca/services will be supplying the boats, life jackets, and paddles. Alkame is extremely experienced in all aspects of dragon boating and will be conducting all the races and tracking the race times as well providing experienced steerspeople to novice/community teams.
What is the registration fee and deadline?
$1,000.00 per team. E-transfer payment is due by June 10, 2023 but don’t delay, the event has a max. capacity of 24 teams – go to REGISTRATION tab for full details
What is included with registration?
- Minimum of 3 races
- Boat, life jackets and paddles for each race
- Experienced steersperson/coach provided for novice/community teams
- 1 hour per team practice/coaching session on Saturday, June 24th (team captains will reserve practice time with event planners – the schedule is currently 4 teams practicing per hour from 2 p.m. – 6 p.m.)
- entire day of racing/fun/music/food vendors/relaxing venue in beautiful Norfolk County
How does our team register?
Team captains, please register and pay for your entire team – no individual payments accepted. Go to REGISTRATION tab for full details
What are the team captain’s responsibilities?
- Register your team and submit payment – deadline is June 10th
- Ensure each member has signed the team waiver form (provided when registering), to be submitted to event coordinator at practice session on Saturday, June 24th
- Arrange date/time for practice with event coordinator
- You are the point of contact with event coordinators (via email, with updates/info)
What happens on the day of the event?
7:30am – set up
- The event organizers unfortunately cannot reserve spots for any team for set-up
- Due to venue space please only one 10’x10′ tent/sun canopy permitted
- Bring your own lawn chairs, fold-up tables, small shade umbrellas, etc.
PARKING is available on site and on side streets. Please be respectful of people’s lawns/ driveways in the neighbourhood
8:00am – Registration tent opens
9:30am – Races begin! Check the program for your team’s race times
4:00pm – Final races
There will be a medals ceremony immediately after the final race. Medals go to the 1st place team of each division. Plan for an entire day of paddling and fun!
What to wear?
- If the day is hot and sunny, wear cool and comfortable clothing – shorts, t-shirt, tank, short-sleeved top
- Teams are encouraged to have distinctive t-shirts!
- If it’s rainy bring some protective gear, towels to dry off in-between races, as well as a change of clothing
- Sensible/appropriate footwear for safe walking on the docks and entering/exiting the boat
- Sunglasses, ball hat, sunscreen are also recommended
What if it rains?
The event will proceed rain or shine with no rain date, just prepare/dress accordingly – dragon boating is, after all, a water sport! Races will only be delayed should there be thunder/lightning but every effort will be made to otherwise continue with the day as planned. Please note no refunds will be issued should racing have to be permanently suspended due to an all-day thunderstorm.
Is alcohol allowed? Will food be available?
NO liquor on site; the event has no permit.
There will, however, be several vendors on site serving food, including –
and beverages, including –
as well as several local eateries in the immediate area.
I own a business / I am a member of a service club or organization. Can I sponsor a team – or be a corporate sponsor for this event?
Absolutely! We are thrilled to have many local businesses sponsor teams – great for the participants and great advertising for you!
The event is also very grateful to our corporate sponsors. As a corporate sponsor we will display your business logo on our sponsor page and at the event.